Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Reality Check: What your mind knows but isn't telling you by David Weiner

Ok, essentially the same premise as Zen Physics except where Zen Physics left me feeling positive about life and death and gave me some faith, Reality Check just left me in despair. He looks at the same astronomically infinitesimal odds of life springing from matter, the vastness and infinite smallness of the universe and sees nothing, meaninglessness whereas I see more meaning than ever. He thinks that because each of us won a 300,000,000 to 1 sperm lottery then we are each insignificant whereas I feel like a winner. My dad could have coughed at a crucial time and I'd be a boy or brilliant, but he didn't, and I am as I am, and I am grateful. The thing was full of typos anyway.

2 comments:

  1. That's unfortunate. I don't need a book to be incredibly happy in order to enjoy it - but total despair is definitely not what I'm looking for in a book.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really did have a lot of interesting facts, but the author drew different meaning from them than I did. I for one am always looking for meaning in science and others seem determined to use science to strip any meaning from life. If you're strong in your beliefs it could be an enjoyable enough read. Me, I'm easily bummed out =) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete