Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Confessions of a Slacker Mom by Muffy Mead-Ferro

Thank you thank you thank you Muffy for saying it! All of it needed to be said. I too am a slacker mom. Apparently I'm a slacker altogether because I read this a couple weeks ago and am just now getting to write about it. I'm glad I put sticky notes on all the spots I especially liked. I'll start with the only negative thing, not even a negative thing, just...I dunno. Point is, the author is all against the stuff we're made to believe we need to buy, (or at least the message that we HAVE to have certain things for happy heathy smart children and lives) then admits to being and advertising executive, hmmmm.... Anyway, moving on, I love that she pointed out how Einstein and Mozart weren't raised with Baby Einstein paraphernalia and um, they were still smart =) And furthermore on that point, I just have to quote, I cannot in my own words express so perfectly how I feel about the current state of children's toys. "Wow, this violin plays music all by itself! Hey this book reads the words for me! Gosh, this paper magically doesn't let you color outside the lines! I really wonder if this is good. It might be unthinkably bad. It might be turning our children into dimwits, dolts, and dullards. Not geniuses." Anyway, I appreciated this book so much. Around every corner I kept thinking, this lady is as lazy as I am! Another helpful quote regarding safety safety safety. "And I believe that good judgment will take them a lot further than safety measures and safety rules." Anyway, final thought, I know that to be a good mom, I have to inspire not pressure, lead not push.

No comments:

Post a Comment